Author Topic: Werewolves, Mercy, and aging?  (Read 5355 times)

dragonfly

Werewolves, Mercy, and aging?
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:39:26 am »
I've never felt inclined to post on a forum before, but I have become totally obsessed with Patty's books (LOVE LOVE LOVE them).  I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and comments on topics related to Mercy's world, so thought I'd throw my thought/question out there...Werewolves remain youthful in appearance indefinately (just look at Bran), and being Changed can even reverse the aging process in a human (look at Dr. Carter Wallace).  Mercy apparently is aging as a human would, and she is about 31, while Adam (on a bad day) appears to look about 30.  I love that they will be/are mates, but wont Mercy eventually die of old age, leaving Adam alone and still "young"? Or will being a walker allow Mercy to not age as a human would?
Also, the young girl in BB, Kara, wouldnt she remain trapped in the body of a young girl, being Changed at 10? 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:49:14 pm by Elle »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Werewolves, Mercy, and aging?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:07:43 am »
Hi dragonfly - welcome to the boards :)

This was asked I think during one of the chats, I can't remember which one though. I think Patty herself doesnt really know although she thinks that Mercy will age like a human but that could change! We dont know much about Walkers so who knows but we love speculating about it :)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 12:11:28 pm »
Hi, Dragonfly, and welcome.  Both of those questions were asked earlier.  This was Mrs. Briggs's reply to the question of Mercy's aging and Adam not:

Now, that being said, I'm still playing with scenarios for Mercy and her mate.  Remember, although it feels like a tragedy for Mercy, we all get old.  Is that a tragedy?  I don't think so.  So if all Mercy has is the normal allotment of years for humans, it's not a terrible thing.  After all, a coyote who plays with vampires and things that go bump in the night isn't exactly working hard at longevity anyway.

And Grey Drakkon posted this from one of the chats, about Kara Beckworth:

jenglows:  Right the 13 year old, now but she was bitten when she was 9? And what about Charles? Did he become a wolf as an infant?
Patty: If changed as a child, a werewolf will grow to maturity -- they just won't age

I hope this helps.  :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »
yeah and its vampires that stay the age they were changed (like wulfe)

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:41:32 am »
See I don't need to answer my questions <grin>  Yes to all.  Immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be -- and werewolves die all the time, they just don't age.  So . . .  And I don't know about the walkers aging.  Immortality doesn't seem to be a theme in NA beliefs, probably a difference in their outlook on death.  It is a question I have to consider carefully in terms of what it will do to the story.
Best,
Patty