Author Topic: Jalapeno Hot Chocolate  (Read 3615 times)

slayresays

Jalapeno Hot Chocolate
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:25 pm »
Hi Patty,

I've looked around the net for a recipe for the Hot Cocoa/Chocolate that Mercy drinks in Iron Kissed, but I can't really find anything (other than a recipe that calls for chipotle, not jalapenos).  Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share?

Thanks,

Slayre
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:03:32 am by Elle »

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Jalapeno Hot Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:13:59 pm »
Hey Slayre,
    Actually Mercy and I both buy it pre-made (though you make it with milk) -- here's the stuff:
http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/Chocolate/Hot-Chocolate/Aztec-Hot-Chocolate.aspx
And both of us were wrong -- it is cayenne pepper that makes it hot.
Enjoy,
Patty
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:15:44 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

dryad

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Jalapeno Hot Chocolate
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:48 pm »
FWIW, I've done a lot of experimentation of chiles in hot chocolate.  I've used cayenne and I've used chipotle and I've tried a couple of others as well since I'm very fond of the chile heat combined with chocolate.  My verdict -- which is highly personal -- is that on the whole I prefer Arborio chile when I mix my own hot chocolate, it seems to have a complexity that cayenne lacks on my taste buds.

My recipe is never consistent, but always contains chocolate, cinnamon, chile, vanilla and a dash of orange.

I've also seen (and purchased) the Aztec Hot Chocolate mix in Whole Foods for those who have one in their neighborhood.